Friday, September 19, 2008

The Confession of One Who Discriminates

Ah yes, I do it everyday. In my choice of music, television shows, coffee, wine, food and, yes, even in whom I vote for.

If I don't like your politics, I discriminate by voting against you.
If I don't like you personally, for whatever reason, I vote against you.
If I don't like you personally, I do not choose to have you as a friend.
If I don't like you because you're a man, I vote against you.
If I don't like you because you're a woman, I vote against you.
If I don't like you because you're Protestant, Jewish, Catholic, Agnostic, Australian, black, or whatever, rightly or wrongly, IT'S MY RIGHT!

So, is there something wrong with discriminating?

VERB: Inflected forms: dis·crim·i·nat·ed, dis·crim·i·nat·ing, dis·crim·i·nates

INTRANSITIVE VERB: 1a. To make a clear distinction; distinguish: discriminate among the options available. b. To make sensible decisions; judge wisely. 2. To make distinctions on the basis of class or category without regard to individual merit; show preference or prejudice: was accused of discriminating against women; discriminated in favor of his cronies.
TRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To perceive the distinguishing features of; recognize as distinct: discriminate right from wrong. 2. To distinguish by noting differences; differentiate: unable to discriminate colors. 3. To make or constitute a distinction in or between: methods that discriminate science from pseudoscience.
ETYMOLOGY: Latin discrminre, discrmint-, from discrmen, discrmin-, distinction. See krei- in Appendix I.

No comments: