Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cleveland Browns, 2009

In defeating the Steelers this week, it appears to this writer that the "Break A Leg" philosophy has been finally allowed to emerge - the understudy waiting in the wings for the "star" to become disabled (remember Barbra Streisand.

I trust Browns Coach Mangini et al have seen the light. Despite their focused plans thus far, have they have finally thrown out what doesn't work and begun to go with what DOES work - using energetic, hungry understudies.

I'm reminded of my Business Law Professor at Cleveland State, Allan Goodman. While working his way through college/law school, he sold computers for the Burroughs Corp. He thought he had a client sold when he was shocked to learn the client bought from another computer company. When he asked the Purchasing Agent why, he was told, "If I bought Burroughs, and it didn't work, I would lose my job. But if I bought IBM (the #1 computer maker at the time), and it didn't work, I could say 'But I bought IBM'"

That's the philiosophy Mangini and Manners Big Boy, oops scuze me, Romeo Crennel, have been following - "But I'm using the highly paid guys."

The prima donnas (IBM) on the Browns are now either out or gone, what a relief. Let's hope the understudies (Burroughs) continue to perform like they did against the Steelers.

No comments: